First rule of CrossFit: Don’t talk about CrossFit…or at least not all the time. You don’t want people thinking you’re part of a “cult” do you?
1. Sign up & show up. Please register for classes so that we know who’s coming and how many people to be expecting. It makes our life easier by letting us plan ahead for larger groups. And try not to be late. We understand on occasion you may miss the train or get held up in traffic, it happens. But remember, when you show up to class 10 minutes late, chances are you’ve missed the warm up and part of the review of movements. It’s not fair to the rest of the group if they’re forced to wait while you catch up. Try and give yourself an extra few minutes for the commute, you can always stretch or practice pull ups if you’re early.
2. Support your fellow members. When you join CrossFit Greenpoint you become part of a community. We sweat together, laugh together, cry together and even bleed together. Treat one another with courtesy and respect. If you finish a WOD and see someone else struggling to get through it, go over and cheer them on. You’ll want the same when you find yourself in that position.
3. Treat the box as if it were your home. Help keep it clean and organized. Throw out your empty water bottles, paper towels and any other trash you may be responsible for. Also, when you are done working out please put the weights / equipment away. If you’ve finished but another member hasn’t, go help out. Seriously, we will make you do burpees (many, many burpees) if we catch you leaving a mess.
4. Easy on the chalk or “Don’t be a chalk whore”. Yes we all love this magical white powder(not cocaine) that seemingly transforms weak, sweaty palms into iron-like vice grips, BUT that is no reason to get it all over the floor, walls and ceiling. Chalk up over the bucket and if you happen to get it all over the floor, clean it up when you finish the WOD. Also, you do not need to chalk up for burpees, sit ups, double unders, push ups, wall balls, 400 / 800 meter runs, etc. Be smart people.
5. Listen to the coaches. This rule is as important, if not more so, as any of the other rules. When we tell you to do something chances are it’s for your safety or the safety of other members. If we tell you to scale the weight or to “slow down and watch your form” trust us and follow our advice. We know it’s tough to keep your ego in check, but we have your best interests at heart. There is no sense is compromising form to use heavier weight or to move too quickly through an exercise when it could lead to injury. Likewise, if you are unnecessarily dropping a loaded bar without any control you could injure a fellow member(not to mention damage the equipment). Please listen to us.
6. Respect the neighborhood. The community extends past the doors of CrossFit Greenpoint itself. Remember that when doing an 800 meter run or even just sitting on the sidewalk trying to catch your breath after completing your 20th round of Cindy. Don’t block the sidewalks or roadways, announce yourself when running up behind someone and be courteous and friendly to our neighbors. Happy neighbors make it easier for us to operate.